Automation of any kind is top of mind as technologies like Artificial Intelligence and Robot work-forces are grabbing headlines. Sorting out which of these are going to be interesting but novelty technologies and which will have a true impact on your business can be difficult. Warehouse Automation should fall into the latter, not the former. Manually tracking an inventory should not be anyone's primary job function in a business environment that relies on up to the minute information. It becomes much more important for companies that have a large portion of their costs associated with physical revenue.
With the internet of things helping businesses operate and the increased functionality of handheld devices it has no longer become a luxury to have the ability to scan inventory and track that data automatically in the system that is the backbone of a business.
If you are not sure if warehouse automation is for you, ask yourself the following:
- Do I need to know the value of my inventory in real time?
- Do I have any manual processes associated with tracking my inventory?
- Do I need to compete with more sophisticated companies?
- Do I need to reduce the costs and risks associated with managing my inventory?
- If the answer is "Yes" to any of the above, you should consider how warehouse automation can help you function as an agile, modern business.